Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- The form MUST be filled out in order to get any type of financial aid as a student.
- Before applying, both the student and the parent/guardian will need to create their own FSA ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov
- When the FSA IDs have been created, the FAFSA can be completed at https://www.fafsa.gov
- The results of the FAFSA are sent to the student’s school(s) of choice. The school(s) will contact you as the summer/fall term approaches to notify you of further actions to take.
- Students must complete the FAFSA every year. The FAFSA opens every year on October 1.
- If you need financial aid for the 2019-20 school year, you can submit the form until June 30, 2020. But remember, the sooner the FAFSA is completed, the sooner a student can see what type of funding they qualify for. Some colleges/vocational schools have their own deadlines for when the FAFSA needs to be submitted, so make sure to research and follow the deadlines.
What Do I Need to Complete the FAFSA?
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- An FSA ID to sign electronically.
U.S. Department of Education @ 1-800-433-3243
Ms. Bazunu: firstname.lastname@example.org